First off, so many people have asked about this topic that I’m going to blog about it. I know, I know…some of you could care less. If you’re in that boat, then just read the first paragraph.
Tebow, Manning, and the Broncos can hold for minute because I have some news that is way better and way more important…This weekend we saw several people step over the FAITH LINE and say “yes” to Jesus!! That is the best thing ever! God was moving in a big way across our campuses and lots of people are working through this central truth: you can’t follow Jesus and stay the same. Keep working it. Don’t let that truth fade to the background. Get yourself in a position to listen, get face to face with someone, start mentoring someone along their journey, use hard times to grow, and start praying “ouch” prayers (mold me, shape me, break me…).
Alright, here are my random thoughts as a rabid Broncos fan:
- I love Tebow…but I love the Broncos more. I cried with joy when Elway led us to back to back Super Bowl titles, I groaned through the Brian Griese years, I was angry in the Jake Plummer years, Jay Cutler brought hope but was a big baby, and Kyle Orton had a neck beard. You stick with your team, whether they win or lose, make stupid personnel decisions, raise their prices, have awful drafts…it is all part of being a fan. So, am I going to be a J-E-T-S fan now because of Tim? NO! I bleed orange and blue.
- Tim Tebow saved the Broncos last year. He single-handedly resurrected our franchise from the ash heap of non-relevancy. We did not matter. We had no heart. We were 4-12 the year before. We were 1-4 when he finally started. Tebow led us to the playoffs, made it fun again, turned Denver into America’s team…it was so awesome. I couldn’t wait for the next game and sat on the edge of my seat and went absolutely bonkers when we beat the STEELERS (hi, Dan Ankrum)!
- Was he a quarterback with flaws? Absolutely. But he had nowhere to go but up. Imagine if could just improve 20%...crazy. I was so excited about this next season to see how number 15 would play. It was going to be so fun and exciting and nerve-wracking! The repeating phrase of Bronco nations was, “What if Tebow could…” But we will not know. I thought the upside was pretty high…Elway thought different. I am rooting for him to beat out Mark Sanchez and lead the J-E-T-S to the AFC Championship against the Broncos…but the Broncos win in overtime.
- No matter how much you love Tebow, this simple fact remains: it is PEYTON MANNING…PEYTON MANNING…PETYON MANNING!!! Once in a generation opportunity to get a first ballot Hall of Famer with some game left in him. Peyton Manning at 70% is better than every other quarterback except Brady, Rogers, Brees, and maybe Big Ben. We went from 80-1 odds of winning the Super Bowl to 8-1 with Manning…nobody else can do that to a franchise. He makes it a desirable place for free agents to play. He takes the pressure off the defense because he puts points on the board, and he brings a confidence and swagger to a team that is hard to match.
- I hope he doesn’t get hurt. I hope he can still play at a high level. I hope he is all that he has been in the past. If it doesn’t go well, I am driving to Denver to fight Elway.